This is a simpler approach to healthy eating! (We like SIMPLE, right?) We find that the new model is about balancing your calories, increasing healthier foods, and reducing not-so-healthy ones. So long, MyPyramid…
As I mentioned above, MyPlate strives for…
Balancing your calories:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to increase:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to reduce:
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals – and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Links for MyPlate:
Food Groups (Grains, Vegetables, Fruit, Dairy, and Protein)
Let’s Move (P.S. – I think Michelle Obama ROCKS!)