What does the term “body image” mean?
Source: Women’s Health.
National Eating Disorders Association defines it as:
- “How you see yourself when you look in the mirror or when you picture yourself in your mind“;
- “What you believe about your own appearance“;
- “How you feel about your body“;
- “How you sense and control your body as you move. How you feel IN your body, not just ABOUT your body“.
Source – Norman Rockwell
It not only happens in the female population – males often feel negatively about their body image, too! And, if you think teenagers are more vulnerable, it can happen at any age! I remember reading an article that stated girls at age 8 have negative feelings about their body. 😦 That is WAY too young!
Positive Body Image can be developed by recognizing and respecting your natural shape. Here are a couple of great links to help you achieve positive body image – click > Women’s Health. and 20 Ways To Love Your Body. Negative Body Image can lead to various disorders – not limited to – Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, and Binge-Eating Disorder.
For more information, please click on the following links:
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America
- Body Image and Self-Esteem
- “Change Your Body Image, Not Your Body”
- Kids Health
- National Eating Disorders Association
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Psychology Today – 2009 poll
What do you think attributes to negative or positive body image?