Thai Beef Salad with Fresh Herbs
Source: Martha Stewart – Everyday Food (I’ll update this when I find the magazine and issue I found it in.)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 12 ounces flank steak
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- Ginger-Lime Dressing (below)
- In a 9-by-13 inch glass baking dish, combine soy sauce, fish sauce, and sugar. Add steak, turning to coat, and marinate at room temperature 15 minutes (or in refrigerator, overnight).
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet, over high. Remove steak from dish and reserve marinade. Add steak to skillet, reduce heat to medium-high, and cook until dark brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, flipping once. Add reserved marinade to skillet and cook 15 seconds. Turn steak to coat in syrupy marinade. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain.
- In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, mint, and basil. Add dressing and steak and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
(Sorry about the quality of the photo – it was beautiful but I couldn’t quite capture the moment!)
213 calories per serving, 7.9 g fat, 20.5 g protein, 16.7 g carb, 3.3 g fiber