Sleep deprivation (continued)
While perusing through one of my books – The Holistic Therapy File – I read more information about the basic need of SLEEP. This is a continuation blog from the February 12th post on SLEEP DEPRIVATION.
(Source: The Holistic Therapy File – The Complete Guide To Alternative Health Treatments By Jane Alexander. Page 98-101 – SLEEP)
Here are some key points from the SLEEP section:
- “Good sleep is vital for our health and happiness.”
- “It’s not really how much sleep we get that is important for our health and well-being, it is the kind of sleep we get – quality over quantity.”
- Homeopathic remedies: ACONITE, ARENSICUM ALBUM, CHAMOMILLA, IGNATIA, LACHESIS, NUX VOMICA, PULSATILLA, SEPIA, SULPHUR.
- Other alternative approaches: YOGA, MEDITATION, BREATHING techniques, ACUPUNCTURE, HYPNOTHERAPY, WARM BATH with EPSOM SALTS, drops of WHITE CHESTNUT in your water, HERBS (e.g. BASIL), KAVA KAVA, AROMATHERAPY (e.g. LAVENDER, CAMOMILE, NEROLI, BERGAMOT, BENZOIN, SAGE, MARJORAM, SANDALWOOD, JUNIPER, YLANG YLANG), and a MASSAGE.
- Solving insomnia without using sleeping pills: SEEK HELP IF THERE ARE ANY UNDERLYING CAUSES, BEDROOM SHOULD BE COOL and AIRY, AVOID CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL and HEAVY MEALS late into the evening, DON’T EXERCISE too close to BEDTIME, WARM BATH and a MILKY-TYPE DRINK before bed helps, AVOID REFINED CARBOHYDRATES, SUGAR, ALCOHOL, TEA and COFFEE, CARBONATED DRINKS and EXCESS BRAN, AVOID GOING TO BED HUNGRY (low levels of blood sugar can cause insomnia), BE CAUTIOUS of LOW-CALORIE DIETS (affects sleep hormone levels and interfere with sleep).
- Make your bedroom a sanctuary…”a safe, secure place in which you leave the cares of the day behind”. Do this by clearing the clutter, avoid working in the bedroom, and no books or knick-knacks should be in the bedroom.
- Make your bedroom a pleasure zone…”place of rest and relaxation” and “romance”. Do this by making your bedroom comfortable; choose soft, gentle lighting; fresh flowers or plant window boxes; and purchase an aromatherapy burner. (Ok, it’s time for me to make UNDER our room!)
Have fun, good luck and ENJOY!