Even though I should be blogging about subjects other than recipes, I can’t help it! For such a long time, I had difficulty finding easy, healthy options. Now that I’ve found quite a few, I wanted to share them! So…here is a great grain recipe, which fits nicely in the USDA Food Pyramid! 🙂 Enjoy!
Barley & Chick Pea Salad with Cucumbers
Source: www.healinglifestyles.com (General website) and http://www.healinglifestyles.com/index.php?page=recipe&recipeid=130 (For a more detailed recipe; ingredients and directions)
- 1/2 cup hulled or pearled barley, rinsed
- 15 ounce can of chick peas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans, ceci beans); drain and rinse
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- zest of lemon plus 1 tablespoon of juice
- 1/2 regular cucumber; peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons of dill or chives
- Put barley in saucepan with 1.5 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, then lower heat and cook about 30 minutes (uncovered). Stand for 15 minutes. Add barley with other ingredients.
How easy is that?! Please note: I used green onions instead of the scallions. And, looks like I missed the fresh parsley! Suggestion: Add grape tomatoes or artichokes. Yum!
For more information on barley, please view this site: http://www.grains.org/barley